 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2111
Re: Shopping Anecdote and Suggestions (Long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:45:49 GMT

Another shopping story:

I was (coincidently) in a Walmart last night.  This was in Nashville.  I too
eavesdropped.  A lady (maybe a grandmother) and a boy around 10 were in the
same aisle.  I was browsing for clearance Lego and had found a few sets. The
young boy was examining various Lego sets.  The lady, however, was
attempting to convince the boy to get one of the $5 MegaBlock sets that
comes in a plastic case with a clip for attaching to a backpack or belt
loop.  "See," she'd say, "you can clip it to your backpack".  "This one
makes a jet".  "That Lego set is too expensive."  They eventually left with
one of the MegaBlock sets.  Most of the sets I bought on clearance were well
over $5 (even at 50% or more off).

$5 is big price point for kids and grandmas.  Roboriders and Throwbots are
about a buck too expensive to be impulse purchases.  Lego would sell a bunch
more if they could be bought on a whim rather than as a planned purchase.

The "cool case" was definitely a factor in the MegaBlock purchase I
witnessed.  Throwbot cases were very badly designed.  The hinges hardly ever
stayed together.  And who would really want to strap one of those
monstrosities to their belt?  Roborider cases are a similar waste of
plastic.  The lid sort of makes a wheel.  Big deal.

The other factor in the MegaBlock purchase was the type of object created
out of the parts in the "cool case".  It wasn't one of several "action
figures".  It was a neat model.  An adult won't buy one out of a set of
several on a whim for a kid 'cause they know it just starts the ball rolling.

Oh, well.  Another MegaBlock set bought when it could have been Lego.

John Hansen