 General / 54760
Re: LUGNET in its Senior Years? (was Re: How to properly "announce" MOC's)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 01:56:33 GMT

-snip-

   Maybe it’s time to face the reality LUGNET is in its senior years and will go the way of RTL. I agree, LUGNET just isn’t as user friendly as it was and these days people have more options than just LUGNET to talk LEGO. I suspect if there isn’t some great reformation (not just changing the look of the homepage) this place will be history in a few years. Sad to see this place go bye-bye but...

Adr.

To say LUGNET isn’t as user friendly. I would have to say this applies to every other LEGO fansites. Such as, FBTB.net, Classic-space, Classic-castle, Eurobricks, BrickLink, Brothers-brick, Brickflims.com, Brickshelf.com, Brickfilms, Bricksinmotion.com, bzpower.com, LUG/LTC clubs and many other sites. Even private groups/sites...‘membership only’ LEGO fan sites. Just like high school all over again...‘clicks’.

Every site has its problems or drama regarding being not user friendly. Every site will always have problems or someone will start his/her NEW LEGO fansite. And post it here on LUGNET or post it where he/she use to be a member. The new site will either grow or died and same problems will start again.

Considering ‘some’ sites don’t help or welcome newbies regarding to a often repeated boring question about LEGO. The ‘mods’ would just ‘lock-up’ the post or and ask the newbie please do a search. Some sites don’t have a FAQ, but should. There will always be new users try to join in.

One thing I have notice over a few years, every other sites have cross post the same information some other sites. For example someone post in Bricklink.com forum to a link from Eurobricks.com something new. As in “Check this out” or “Did anyone see this”. Or someone from Eurobricks.com forum would post a link from LUGNET. Or someone from FBTB.net forum post a link from Classic-castle.com. I see the same users on this site, and on other LEGO fansites. I am not saying this is a bad thing.

One big problem I have seen from other sites. Someone in IT or even a new company comes in takes over, dumps a lot of the old information starts fresh, new look etc. And when you do search you get the answer such as ‘404 error’ or ‘article is not found’. Websites such as, Newspapers, magazines, old sites collecting dust do it all the item. LUGNET maybe old, but it has a lot of history and information/data archived.

I don’t like to jump around from one site to another site to read topics, but that is the way it is. LUGNET should not died.

So... how long is your list of BOOKMARKS of LEGO fansites?

-just for fun- So who is gonna create a Galidor fansite? or 2x4bricks.com (the only fan site talking about 2x4 bricks) or Brickcolors.com (fan site talking about LEGO past, present and future colors... the problems... the drama... the days of our brick colors)

:-)

-Abner