 General / 54767
Re: LUGNET in its Senior Years? (was Re: How to properly "announce" MOC's)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 04:03:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
<snip>
LUGNET posters are
encouraged (read: required) to post with their real names
<snip>

This statement alone is a big part of the reason I like LUGNET over the
alternative sites (that and the threaded format vice bulletin board flat posting
format).  I feel it adds an edge of responsibility to one's posting.  In other
words, the question "Do I want to attach my real name to this?" is very
relevant.  Additionally it helps me know who to talk to when I'm at a Lego event
since I can look for "Tim Gould" instead of "Gambort".

-Orion

I see your point here although I think that (continuing your example) I'm
probably more broadly known as "gambort" now than I am as "Tim Gould" so the
'edge of responsibility' is attached to both names. Furthermore, a web search on
my alias will prove more productive than one on my real name as I share my real
name with others but my alias is more unique.

There is also a counterpoint to this argument which is that some people ("nnenn"
for example) may have good reasons not to want to use their real name eg. to
prevent stalking or for workplace reasons and those people are essentially
prevented from posting here on LUGNET. Like any requirement there are negatives
alongside the positives.

Tim