 General / 522
Re: Thoughts on 1999 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:42:14 GMT

[followups set to lugnet.starwars]

"Duane Hess" <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> writes:
Matthew Miller writes:
Greg Williams <gregw@mindspring.com> wrote:
I like the X-wing design.  I think it is quite well done.  I can see
it will need some modification for retractable landing gear, though.
So does the Y-wing.  I think the Y-wing is the best design of the ships
they show.  I like

Maybe my hopes were too high. Compare to
http://www.starwars.com/vehicles/x-wing/1_bg.html for example -- the Lego
design is way too stubby and lumpy compared to the long, sleek "real"
X-wing.

That is a GREAT shot!  It's funny, though, that they chose a shot of an
X-Wing in closed-wing configuration -- it's not even an "X" in that shot.
:)

I'll second the stubby look.  The fuselage looks a little short.  As for
lumpy, what do you expect?  LEGOs traditionally have lumpy studs on top.
:-)

Well hey, the neat thing is that the fuselage can be lengthened -- and I'm
sure we'll see a few websites pop up dedicated to mods (with LDraw or LeoCAD
instructions) to bring the models into a more official shape/look.  At least
with LEGO (pieces), the errors can be fixed.

--Todd