 General / 415
Re: Thoughts on 1999 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:44:35 GMT

My thoughts on the 1999 sets:

Star Wars
---------

Actually, about what I expected. I was tying to keep my expectations
down, so I am pleased by what I see. The minifigs are great. I am
ecstatic
about the snow speeder, which was always my favorite vehicle. I wonder
if there is room in the back for a second minigif?

I am also surprised that they built a Y-wing. It was not a featured
ship in the movies, I thought, so I am surprised they built it before
building, say, a (regular) tie fighter. Also I am surprised they
bundled up two ships in one set.

So this cannot be all the sets for this year, I hope. I see no
stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Laia, or Han Solo, all of whom appear in the
Star Wars logo at the top of the page

Rock Raiders
------------

More use of brown and green, which is to be encouraged. Is the vehicle
featured in the ad to be found as one of the numbered set, or is it
another set entirely?

Space Port
----------

Oh please let there be more than two sets!  This stuff is great! And
finally
LEGO builds their own rocket, which we haven't seen for 20 years, I
think.

Adventurers and Ninja
---------------------

How long has it been since LEGO introduced a sub-theme one year, and
then added to it the next?  That is, assuming that Adventures (town)
and Ninja (castle) are sub-themes at all. But in the 4 years since
my return from the Dark Ages, it has always been the rule that
sub-themes are contained in one year (minus the odd polybag or
promo set).  It seems like they are just adding a couple of sets
to each line, though.

My first reaction to the blimp was "LEGO has finally made a piece
that is too specialized for even me". I come down
firmly on the side of specialized peices in the "Classic Bricks
vs. Specialized Pieces Debate". I think that no piece is so specialized
that you can't use it for something else, and I think the more
pieces the better. But this blimp will take some getting used to.
Maybe I'll prop it up on its end and call it a silo...

City Center
-----------

Never has there been such a disparity between the name of a sub-theme,
and the sets. The name makes you think (dream) of post offices,
hospitals,
cafes, skyscrapers. What you get are sets that look exactly like all
the other Town Jr sets - the same basic design in new colors and the
only way you know what it is supposed to be is by the stickers they
put on it. Sigh.

ThrowBots
---------

Small sets with cool pieces. Call them parts packs.
Michael Dorneich        Human-Computer Cooperative Problem Solving Lab
mcpd@uiuc.edu            Dept of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
                          University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign
Everything has Priority    WWW: http://tortie.me.uiuc.edu/~dorneich/