 General / 402
Re: Thoughts on 1999 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:04:23 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Ok, so, http://www.halcyon.com/irvingd/ looks pretty legit. Here's my
personal first impressions. What're yours?

Star Wars:  Ehhh. I'd still been clinging to the hope that the X-wing was a
            hoax. Looks tolerable, but not fantastic -- and certainly isn't
            on the level of some MOCs I've seen. Still, the TIE fighter
            looks like it's got some nice big plates, which I'm kinda short
            of, so.

            And, the Endor speeder-bike looks kinda nifty for a small set,
            and if that tree is blocks not a burp, that's a good source of
            brown.

I'm blown away by the speeder bikes and the snow speeder.  Can't wait to get
these!  The landspeeder looks pretty small but at least it's 6 wide and not 4
wide.  :)  I wonder if there's room for Threepio and Artoo in the back?

Throwbots: Wow. Um, I sure hope this isn't all of the technic offerings for
           '99. Weird stuff. They certainly deserve their own number range!
           Might be interesting -- and certainly will be a source of parts
           in different colors. I wonder if they're "functional" in any way.
           Definitely appear more designed for play than creation -- sort of
           like Transformers. I'll hold judgement until I see 'em.

I'm pretty excited about this line -- it reminds me of Micronauts for some
reason.  All the specialized pieces might be a bit much, but we'll see how
specialized they really are -- almost always turns out to be more uses for
someting than first-glance suggests.

I wonder what is meant by

   All Star Wars elements are property of
   Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or Lucas Licensing Ltd.

?

Think it means that the SW-specific elements like light-sabres, gun turrets,
and special windows are owned by Lucas and that TLG can't use these elements in
non-SW sets?

So it looks from the logo there that we get Han, R2-D2, Leia, Luke, Darth
Vader, Stormtroopers, and (YES!) Boba Fett as minifigs.

But what about C-3PO and Chewbacca?  :-(

Well, I guess Obi-Wan isn't in the logo and he gets to be a minifig in 7110, so
there's hope.  :*]

--Todd