 General / 475
Re: Thoughts on 1999 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 19:14:25 GMT

Once upon a time, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

I wonder what is meant by

  All Star Wars elements are property of
  Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or Lucas Licensing Ltd.

?

Think it means that the SW-specific elements like light-sabres, gun turrets,
and special windows are owned by Lucas and that TLG can't use these elements in
non-SW sets?

That would be very sad, if the licensing limitations go beyond the
minifigs, and ship designs.  But I think "elements" in this case is a
general term, refering to "things identifiable as Star Wars".  As
opposed to "elements" meaning "LEGO bricks & pieces".  So I'm still
hopeful that the 2000 non-SW sets will use some of the SPUDs which
will first appear in SW sets. (1)

So it looks from the logo there that we get Han, R2-D2, Leia, Luke, Darth
Vader, Stormtroopers, and (YES!) Boba Fett as minifigs.

But what about C-3PO and Chewbacca?  :-(

You can only put so many mini-figs in one logo...

I'd be happy if the C-3P0 fig is just the lego-droid in yellow and/or
chrome.  But it'll probably at least have a special threepio head.

Chewbacca might be tough, since he should be about two plates taller
than regular minifigs.  A simple solution is 1x1 plates on the bottom
of his feet.  New leg and/or torso pieces would be an interesting
approach.  Or they could just use the monkey-fig, with the tail cut
off. ;)

Well, I guess Obi-Wan isn't in the logo and he gets to be a minifig in 7110, so
there's hope.  :*]

Is that our only hope?  I have a bad feeling about this.

How long can a conversation be carried using only Star Wars-isms?

Steve

(1) Do I get credit for being the first person to wonder about the '00
sets?