 General / 44500
Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:20:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Tarrabain wrote:

<snip>
what has LEGO ever done in the past to you to earn
this distrust?

Recently this discussion between Douglas R. Clark and Mark Tarrabain brought up
some issues about trust and corporate motivation.  It was taken to .debate, but
I would like to return it to .general, along with new information, because I
think it is a very good discussion about TLC and very much on topic.  The
original post was dealing with the color change and TLC's focus group
explanation.  I have taken some quotes, perhaps out-of-context, but in order to
illustrate some general points.

<snip>

Just because some companies lie, doesn't
mean all of them do... until you have actual specific evidence to the
contrary, your ranting does nobody any good.

This article suggests that TLC is willing to mislead for the sake of saving
their reputation and then deny their intentions:

http://www.praguepost.com/P03/2003/Art/1218/busi3.php

<snip>

I don't ever recall saying that I think LEGO is some altruistic
non-profit organization that solely exists to make playing with their
bricks fun... of *COURSE* they are out for money.  But how, exactly,
does it follow that if a company is out to make money, they must
necessarily tell deliberate lies to the public?

<snip>

The article mentioned above is a good example of this.  Moving labor intensive
productions to an economically depressed country with high-unemployment and
lower wages is a good way to maximize profits.  Is laying people off in
high-wage countries and implying it is because of poor business performance
while hiring more people a lie?  Is it ethical?

Just because a decision is motivated by money, doesn't mean that they
will lie about it... not even in the general case.

<snip>

So that's what's made you so jaded...  but you might try not
generalizing your experience with that company to all others... if
you're always assuming that all big companies are willing to lie, cheat,
and resort to unethical and maybe even illegal behavior in order to make
a buck, eventually you'll find that while you've been busy inventing
conspiracy theories, everyone else has stopped listening to you.

One of the things that bothers me about this article is how it reflects on "Lego
company values"  A lot of corporations have mission statements that specifically
state that their goals are to be profitable.  TLC, has as parts of its mission,
the promotion of the TLC's value system.  But what do these events tell us about
the company's motivations?

--
Thomas Main
thomasmain@myrealbox.com