 General / 44479
Re: My honest opinion Was Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:28:07 GMT

This might cause a bit of a furor, and I don't like causing furors... • Honestly,
I think TLC is going to get their hat handed to them.  I dunno if it's • that
severe, but, from this cheap seat, the writing's on the wall.

I walked into the local Zellers the other day and they had this 3x3 • display of
the new MegaBlock castle sets with the dragons and the water and the other
things...  It looked spectacular.  Far better than the little diorama that • LEGO
had up last Christmas with whatever star wars set...

Didn't think much about it at the time--not swaying me to 'change brands'.

But my mom talked about what my nephew wants for Christmas--"He wants that • LEGO
dragon..."  Well, mom, that dragon's not really LEGO, it's the other • company.
"Oh..."

David,

I could not agree with you more. I have mentioned the MB Dragons display
several times. At Toys R Us, you have to pass it as you enter the Lego / MB
aisle. It really is an eye-catcher for the kids.

While the design may be a bit too over-the-top for many AFOLs, it shows how
a properly designed theme fits together. The MB Dragons display really looks
like something you would see in a mid-80s Lego catalog. Remember those
lavish catalogs that showed how all the sets in a given theme fit together?
It encouraged you to buy more.

And on top of that, the MB prices are simply more competative than Lego. The
blocks are not as high quality as Lego. **But to an average buyer, Mega
Bloks and Lego are the same.**

And it looks like Lego is playing catch up. Check out the new 2004 Castle
line:

http://www.minifig.co.uk/temp/legoKnights2004.jpg

To me, these look like direct competition for MB. But I'm encouraged as
these sets look pretty good. The colors are a little bright. But it looks
like Lego is moving back towards strong themes. I suspect the Knights
Kingdom theme, in both minifig and large figure products, will be around for
a while.

Bryan