 General / 44468
Re: Now that I've had a chance to see the new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:22:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Gerlach wrote:

   Congratulations, LEGO. Because some kids in a focus group said they liked these new colors “better”, you’ve managed to upset your most loyal and fanatical customers - the people who spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year on your product.

No need for sarcasm, John, but I agree with your premise. The department carrying on “focus research” is about as clueless and out of touch as it possibly can be. How can the opinions of a few dozen focus group kids provide any meaningful information about such a complicated issue as color aesthetics? Kids in a vaccum setting may have preferred those colors over the originals, but who cares? There are more important considerations than “color preference” I wonder what the kids’ feedback would have been if asked to consider 3 MOCs-- one in the old colors, one in the new colors, and one motled in both colors-- I think we could guess which one they wouldn’t like!

As the saying goes, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Also, perhaps TLC should considering focusing more on the opinions of another group that is, although cronologically more advanced than their traditional focus groups have been, are young at heart and have some valid feedback to impart-- namely LUGNet.

JOHN