 General / 42150
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 06:57:41 GMT

"Dave Johann" <legomecha@adelphia.net> wrote in message

What turned me off from newsreaders was the inability to track threads • that
cross from one
newsgroup to another. Perhaps things have changed significantly since I • last
used a newsreader,
but I tend to doubt that.

And what still turns me off from using the web interface is the inability to
track which messages I have read already in a reliable manner (meaning
without relying on the brower to remember which ones I have read, which it
doesn't always do).

People read the forums in the manner that is convenient to them, and
suggesting that they switch their preferred method is not the answer.
Fixing the problem with requiring verification iss the answer.

I personally download a lot from various news servers.  They all require me
to enter password to read and post messages, except for Lugnet.  Why can't
Lugnet just require passwords for the news server like it requires passwords
for the web interface?  This would verify the user without any additional
steps such as verification.

Troy
(who will now wait to verify this message....)