 Administrative / Suggestions / 627
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 10:41:41 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

2. If you use several different computers (or switch between news &
browser) it's harder, although you can use the the highlight feature. But
if you mostly use the same machine, most browsers automatically display
links you've already visited in a different colour.

Problem one for me... using 3 machines at the moment, LDAP unfortunately
still not working :(

- Web browsers generate more traffic. For some perhaps moot, but as I'm
always way over my ISP's limit already I try to watch out for waisted
bandwidth.

Well not sure here, as with mail or news, each post requires 2 massages to
be sent and 1 received. Haven't done the maths...

Right now it does, but with NNTP authentication that could go back to one
small ASCII batch... the overhead of a webboard vs an NNTP system is huge :
images, markup tags etc etc.

Though I don't have a problem with ISP limit, reducing bandwidth is a Good
Thing IMO. But that won't convince me to go back to using my newsreader
for Lugnet posting (I still use it occasioanlly for browsing....).

To each his/her own I guess... I hardly ever used anything but a newsreader,
because it looks cleaner and for me works faster. And it's easier to sync
newsreader style between 2 systems than web-based.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html