 Administrative / Suggestions / 639
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 23:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Eaton writes:
It's been a long-standing problem where people have been confused about how >to sign up for posting privilages, and similarly for membership. People tend >to think (as would I initially) that membership == posting privilages.

     I certainly did.  I can't recall how many people told me what I
understood as "you don't have to pay for membership", but the member sign-up
page clearly stated that there was a $10 minimum.

The fact that Lugnet doesn't publicize posting privilage documentation a bit
more proactively has always puzzled me.

     It sounds like that specific concern is at the heart of a lot of the
current round of changes, which will probably result in a bloom of new
participants.

I think I personally found the posting setup form for the first time by
attempting to respond to a thread, which in turn told me I had to sign up
for posting privilages...

     I know exactly how I found out about it.  I read a post where someone
was telling someone else how super-easy it was to figure out that you could
sign up for free posting privs by clicking on the "Reply-To" link.  I, for
one, never even paid any attention to that button because my experience has
always been that you need to sign up for membership before you can post, and
I'd already investigated the membership angle.

     On the plus side, the Bionicle-based flame-wars appear to have mostly
settled down in that time, so I feel like LUGNET is a much more friendly
place than it was a year ago.