 Off-Topic / Geek / 4301
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 21:00:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
Wow - that was the hardest post to read in a text terminal.  SO MANY
MS-specific characters, it's like half the post was '?' signs!

for instance:

Flashback:
????????
In times-past, there were certain individuals who caused flame-wars, stole
identities, and trolled news groups.
(They?ve long since vanished?but we?re still in ?lock-down? mode!)

wow.

Dan

(posted via email auth.  big deal, imo)

Hi,

I'm using the ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) superset;  and I bet that every
newsreader written or updated in the last five years can handle that too.
But usually only Windows machines can handle the additional characters in
Codepage 1252.

I don’t do this to mess with other peoples documents appearance.
I jus’ like to use the spell-check function in Word!

Seriously, it isn't easy to know which special characters will be readable by
nearly everyone if you or your localization knows how to generate those
characters (e.g. 'Milton Train Works™' can't be read by everyone, while '1.0
± 0.2' should be fine.)

                        --==Richard==--

Special thanx to Mr. Clark for the details:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=10534