 Administrative / Suggestions / 600
599  |  601
Subject:
A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 19:14:22 GMT

.A Change
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

(Not so much a` BIG change, but a `SMALL improvement!)

!An open letter to the Lugnet community and it’s creators:

I'm proposing that a change take place in our lovely Lugnet community.
Not a radical revolution, but simply just a retrograde reform!

As I've traversed the wonderful world-wide-web lately, I've been inclined
to post in many a diverse forum. This has opened my mind to the ways
and designs of different forums and discussion boards.

  This has led me to believe that Lugnets posting verification
procedure is an overcompensation to combat possible troll threats.
(It’s like we’re compromising too much of our freedoms
and liberties in the name of safety and protection)

  _No longer I say!
This is a community…
We are *“Citizens of the Brick!”
(*feel free to quote me on this.)

  Thus, as citizen we must demand greater freedoms.
But at the same time we must assume the responsibility of policing our selves.
(Please do save the rebuttals concerning the fact that Lugnet is a privately
owned venture, and thus not an actual liberal-democratic institution)

  Therefore, what I humbly suggest to my fellow citizens is that we attempt to
persuade our friends Suz and Todd to revert back to the !past! posting
procedures.   (sans the e-mail verification.)

  At this point in our communities development I believe we need to grow.
And I honestly think that our current posting procedure is hampering our
development.

(We’ve seriously lost a great deal of momentum since this procedure was
enacted, for proof compare the posting totals between years 2000 and 2001)
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=1396              (2900 posters in 2000)
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2817              (2298 posters in 2001)
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2818

Flashback:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
In times-past, there were certain individuals who caused flame-wars, stole
identities, and trolled news groups.
(They’ve long since vanished…but we’re still in ‘lock-down’ mode!)

Flash-forward:
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
But this is the present!
Suz has cunningly chosen to delegate the powers of responsibility to individual
news group moderators. (therein, we are better able to manage our groups
affairs.)

With this balance of power, the curators/creators of Lugnet need no longer
read and scrutinize each post for possible problems.

That is why I believe _NOW_ is the time to allow greater posting freedoms…
…like before…when idle chat was the norm and the free-flow of ideas wasn’t
limited to how many times you wanted to check your e-mail account.

  What I hope to accomplish twofold:
Initially I'd really like to here what others think.
And secondly, if a concession should be reached we create a change for the
BETTER!

I appreciate y’all taking the time to listen to my ideas,

.                                                               --==RïçhårÐ==--