 Administrative / Suggestions / 604
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 21:06:53 GMT

Orion Pobursky wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, John P. Henderson writes:
If the verification problem is something that even members get when not
using the interface that I do, then I argue that maybe the web interface is
your solution if you really don't like the system, and who among us doesn't
have a web browser available half the time anyway?

My slight problem with the web interface is that I cannot use any of my
signature/taglines without copy and pasting from an external source.  I poat
a suggestion to this fact about a week ago but have been ignored.  I think
this would be a good feature for registered members.

Other shortcomings of the web interface:

- doesn't keep track of read/unread posts very well
- doesn't allow marking a post as unread (I do this all the time when I
want to return later to the post to respond)
- doesn't support built in spell checking
- presents a rather small, fixed size window for editing
- doesn't present a list of groups of interest, highlighting those with
unread posts

I have considered writing a special web client for Lugnet that would
provide all these features.

Of course there are some nice advantages of the web interface (at least
over the NNTP clients I have used):

- can easily bookmark posts
- the little dots tree (so long as the number of posts fit) that follows
the tree no matter what groups it wanders into (which can also be a
negative thing)
- quickly scan a bunch of posts
- as mentioned before, members need not authenticate posts

Frank