 General / 3309
Re: Buried toys story (was Re: Dark Ages story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:24:31 GMT

No way! It will stay in my room, for always! (Or to my children or in my
will to a good cause!) And it will not be Town Junior sets!

Scott Sanburn

Eric Brok wrote:

<snip>

I took the fig (my
favorite) and threw him in a small creek by my childhood home.  It was
the first time I had ever thrown away Lego.  And he was the symbol of my
stopping Lego play (at least for 15 years or so).

I always thought it would be neat if I found that fig now.  When I heard
about Lego appearing on the coast of Florida it renewed my hope.  That
would really be magic, I think, to find that fig after all these years.
What's the probability (the mind boggles)?  Anyway, if you see him....

This reminds me of a (non-LEGO) event from my childhood.
As a child one day I put a handful of plastic toy soldiers in a bag and
buried it in our back garden. I don't exactly recall why I did this; I
suppose I maintained a romantic view of excavating and discovering buried
treasures at the time.
When I got back from school the next day, I was unpleasantly surprised by
finding this part of our garden to be paved with stone tiles. I might have
muttered some discomfort but being a child I didn't bother to complain about
the situation.
Over 10 years later, when I visited my father in my former home, this
recollection struck me and I happily broke up the pavement in search for the
old treasure, leaving my father and my girlfriend looking slightly puzzled
to say the least. And indeed, I did find the toy soldiers in good shape.
It's a strinking thought, that I was so pleased to find them after all these
years, while I probably wouldn't have held on to them if I hadn't buried
them. Now, I've kept them since.

Ever thought of putting your favorite LEGO set in a time capsule :-)

Eric