 General / 3162
Re: Dark Ages story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:47:38 GMT

Thomas Main writes:
I wonder if most people entered their dark ages gradually, without
really noticing that Lego was becoming less and less important to them
or whether people remember making an abrupt decision to stop using
Lego.  For me, the former was true.

I made a consious decision to switch my attention to Meccano[1] at quite an
early age. At the time Technic had not been invented (and I'm not sure about
those giant gears you could get once). Meccano was far more flexible at the
time because it had cool gears, pulleys, motors and stuff and even a real
steam engine. Without spending alot of money you could build huge working
cranes. Plus you could start at set 1 and buy extension kits all the way up to
set 10 which was truly awesome (I only made it to 8 or 9). It was easy to add
custom stuff to Meccano, I remember making a working morse code printer, a
working drink vending machine, a working slot machine, and a real steam train.

Matt

[1] I think US had something similar called Erector but I don't know how well
it compared to Meccano.