 General / 3172
Re: Dark Ages story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:37:06 GMT

Thomas Main writes:
I wonder if most people entered their dark ages gradually, without
really noticing that Lego was becoming less and less important to them
or whether people remember making an abrupt decision to stop using
Lego.

I think my interest in Lego had been fading gradually for a while before 1990,
when my younger brother was born. In the interest of not having my pieces
devoured, I put my collection into storage for a few years. I was 15 at the
time, and didn't much miss the legos. As my brother got old enough, I gradually
moved stuff out of storage.

I gave him my old lego collection as a hand-me down, but I've enjoyed building
with him for years. Actually, two of my friends would occasionally stop by and
play with Legos before we'd go out. They're both AFOLS now.

It wasn't until last year that I bought my first post-dark age set. I guess it
was sort of a graduation present for myself after a rough exam week at NYU.

I've now got about six sets (all < $10) in my new collection and am looking
forward to the Star Wars line. I've got a big model team truck,
on the way, which will help out my collection a lot.

I think my first set was
and I was mainly a fan of space sets as a kid.
My new collection spans several themes, including Adventurers, UnderwaterZone
Fishguys, Res-Q, and Wild West.
I am looking forward to the Star Wars sets, which are vastly more wizard than
anything TLG has put out recently.

Josh Spaulding
http://members.tripod.com/~josh_spaulding