 General / 7681
Re: Dark Ages story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 02:47:52 GMT

I do have a complaint regarding the quality of design that I have observed in
the
newer sets (this complaint does not include the Star Wars line - which I am
extremely happy with): There are entirely too many specialized parts in the
newer sets.  I am disturbed by how many set designs replace 5 or 10
traditional
bricks with one large BURP or similar mega-piece.

The word BURP... does it stand for anything specific?  or just the
AFOL word for such pieces?

Has LEGO officially said why they have chosen to use such pieces in
more and more sets?  I have two thoughts..

I would suspect that such pieces are cheaper to produce than the many
smaller parts they replace.  Of course this makes them less useful to
us in many circumstances.

This trend reminds me of chocolate bars. One year they get smaller,
the next they increase in price; repeatedly. LEGO just follows a
slightly different strategy.

These pieces are not the
Legos that I grew up with and loved.  I think that Lego is doing a great dis-
service to children who are being introduced to Legos; larger all-purpose
bricks do not require as much imagination or inventiveness in play.

LEGO is a great tool for this.  Imagination & inventiveness are
seriously lacking in too many people.  Better to get the kids on the
right track early.

LEGO obviously knows this themselves.  Therefore, I'll assume the main
reason for including BURP's is cost reduction.

Marketing and market pressures sadly win again.

I profoundly regret having missed so many of the sets of the early-nineties,
and I sincerely
hope that this disturbing trend in Lego set design will end.

I agree with both thoughts, also just having come out of my dark
years.

<ICS>