 General / 18833
Re: LUGNET Spotted in LEGO Mania Magazine - Thread?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:04:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh writes:
What was the final resolution on the $5K donation to LUGNET from LEGO
Direct?

BradJ was not present at the meeting to offer any additional perspectives.
LSI attorneys confirmed, however, that Brad's donation represented neither
sponsorship nor endorsement of LUGNET by LSI, LD, or TLC and that it was a
pure gift.

By gifting you this money, Brad/TLG is showing that he supports and approves
of what you are doing - and in a small way is encouraging to keep up the good
work. By giving the money, assuming you have accepted it, LUGNET is now
supported (I do not mean just financially), albeit in a small way, by LEGO. I
do not think this is a big deal, but I do think the front page should not be
ambiguous about this. To return to just what we had before could be perceived
as being misleading(?):

Welcome to the international fan-created LEGO® Users Group Network! This is a
place for
LEGO® fans of all ages to find information, meet one another, and share ideas.
As an
independent site by fans, for fans, it is neither sponsored nor endorsed by • the
LEGO
Company.

I think it is important to be clear, you do not have to be - I just think you
should be.
From:
http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk/elt/dictionary/
sponsor  {verb}
to support (a person, organization or activity) by giving money, encouragement
or other help

endorse (SUPPORT)  {verb}
to make a public statement of your approval or support for (something or
someone)

Scott,

I won't be long winded about this but could you please drop this issue.  Todd
made a change to the home page to try and settle your grievance.  I personally
don't consider this an issue and frankly no one else has come out to support
your side of the issue.

Until I see a large groundswell of support from the community for your
possition I really think this should be a NON-issue.  Todd didn't have to tell
us that he had recieved a Donation from LEGO Direct but he did and I think
thats great but in my mind if both Brad Justus and the LEGO Lawyers say, and I
quote "that Brad's donation represented neither
sponsorship nor endorsement of LUGNET by LSI, LD, or TLC and that it was a
pure gift." then that should be it END OF STORY.

So at least for me your stick in the mud attitude has gotten very tiresome so
lets please let this go.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/