 General / 18834
Re: New world record for highest Lego tower planned
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:22:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Not allowed?  I guess LEGO is sponsoring the event and providing the brick.
What would they do if a private club made one much taller?

Are they going to use any kind of support like a steel pole?

KL

Lego is not just supporting this event. A PR-agency is making whole planning
and supporting the event for TLC.
They have computed the static and the have millions of bricks brought with
them....
The tower itself is build by visitors of the event. The Pr-people have just
prepared a first layer out of plates in the towers shape. then people are
allowed to build 25 25 layers of bricks on this by using 2xXx1 Bricks of any
colour (but mainly 2x4x1 bricks).

These bricks have been used for old record towers and will be used for further
events.

If you like to see the shape and inner design of the single modules take a look
here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/temp/tower_modules.jpg

These modules are brought up with a crane and fixed with help of heavy rubber
hammers!

In the center of the tower is a structure to fix the tower with steel wires.
But these are only for security purposes (for e.g. heavy weather, storm). The
tower is able to stand free on it's own.

Regards,

Ben