 General / 18854
Re: LUGNET Spotted in LEGO Mania Magazine - Thread?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:22:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:
In lugnet.general, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.general, Scott Arthur writes:
OK. Now define "sponsored" & "endorsed"

Could these two words be misunderstood by anyone?

Go check the lugnet.com main page.  It specifically states that
the gift is not believed to be a sponsorship or endorsement "in
a legal sense". The normal definitions of the words do not matter
here - the legal definitions under US law (since LEGO Direct and
LUGNET are both US-based enterprises) are the important ones.

Words are words, their meaning is their meaning.

Uh, sure, Scott.  What's a bonnet?  Or a boot?  Depends on if we're
talking about clothing or cars.  Words can often have very different
meanings in different contexts.

Legal statements do not, as
far as I am aware, use any abnormal definitions - they are simply clear and
unambiguous (unless they are intended to be otherwise).

Legal definitions are often much more precise than they are when used by
the general public.  For example, "commerce" is often used to refer to
many types of transactions, but legally it only applies to trade that the
federal government is authorized to regulate.  As another example,
committing "assault" in legal terms does not require physical contact,
even thats how most people would use it.

In other words, there maybe specific legal definitions of what constitutes
an "endorsement" or a "sponsorship",  These legal definitions may have
requirements that the interaction between TLC and LUGNET do not meet, so
that legally, the monetary gift cannot be considered a sponsorship or
endorsement.

It was my speculation that the legal definition of endorsement or
sponsorship would include some kind of contract, and since there is tot he
best of my knowledge no contract (implied or otherwise) between LUGNET and
TLC, there is no legal endorsement or sponsorship either.