 General / 16558
Re: LEGO name branding (was: Re: Stuff I'd like to see...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 15:34:52 GMT

It could ultimately cost TLC billions of dollars if it lost is brand name --
if someone proved it had become generic.  Putting notices on boxes and in
catalogs asking people not to say "legos" will never work -- you have to show
the masses out there that there are other things besides plastic binding
bricks which are labeled "LEGO".  And maybe that doesn't even work, but it's
the only thing that makes sense to me as to why they're pumping up the brand.
(Unless they're ramping up for an IPO in 2005 or something........)

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.general]

     I agree with Todd.  I think the reason this crop of kids aren't as
interested in Lego, and similar activities, is because they're used to being
spoonfed their entertainment.  It's all so passive.  I think that's shifting
with the interactivities of the internet versus mindless television watching,
but still, if a kid wants to know something, instead of going out to find it,
he can point and click his way and never leave the house.
     Lego needs to show kids that it's "hip" to be creative. (or "Phat" or
whatever)  I work with kids, and when I get bring out the lego stuff, many
have difficulty getting past the directions and thinking outside of the box.
Or else, they'll say, "Here, make me a boat."
     When a kid plays a Lego video game, he will relate more to Lego.  He'll
say, "Wow, that racer is pretty cool.  Wait I can build one in real life."
Having that recognition, the relevance, is important to build the bridge.
Mass media blitz works for getting the favorable opinion of kids.  I think
it's manipulative in most cases, but it is a valuable tool for those who know
how to use it.

Markus