 Dear LEGO / 1815
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:33:10 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
To Whom It May Concern (and therefore the least likely to actually read it):

<snip>

We don't see many animals.  Trees and other plants are currently pretty
limited. We don't see much in the way of food.  We see few items for
minifigure recreation.

I'd like to see ready-made items that I can use at mini-fig scale.  I'd like
more dogs and cats at an appropriate scale, farm animals, peacocks for
gardens, elephants, tigers, lions, deer, mice, butterflies at mini scale,
toads, etc.  I'd love to see the return of the cypress tree, as well as a host
of other items to include: ivy, grapes, bushes that are more than just pieces
of plastic jutting straight out, flowers of different types, oak trees, etc.
I'd like to see minifigure roasted turkeys, carrots that are not Belville-
sized, wine bottles, cola cans, chicken drumsticks, steaks, pies, hunks of
cheese, bread, etc., and all the sorts of tableware I would need for my
minifigs to eat it all.  How about making ready made musical instruments like
lutes, guitars, folk harps, bagpipes, pianos, harpsichords, pipe organs, huge
drums, tubas, trombones, and saxaphones?  How about filigree black gates with
which to surround a Victorian manor?  I think my minis might enjoy a comfy
chaise lounge.  And etc, etc, etc!!!

A lot of good ideas here...

I think TLC doesn't make some of the things you suggest at minifig scale
because they would be too small.  As a company, LEGO always has to be aware of
choking hazards.  And parents probably don't like their kids having too many
small parts around that can easily be lost.  There are also probably technical
difficulties with making very small elements.

I always wonder at some of the elements LEGO *does* choose to produce,
especially in light of the expense of designing and moudling new parts...for
instance, how many of the Rock Raiders chassis does LEGO assume it will include
in a set before thinking it's worthwhile to produce a mould for the part?  In
that particular case, I would imagine the part is very expensive because of its
complex shape and I have to wonder how often it will be used in sets.

You mentioned animals and I have to get my two cents in on that one...I don't
like *any* of the LEGO pre-fab animals (unless you count the minifig).  I liked
when animals were made out of LEGO elements, as in the classic castle or as
shown in Idea Books of the '70s and later...the prefab animals seem like hunks
of plastic to me...many don't have studs (or enough studs for me to consider
them LEGO) and their lack of articulation make them seem very primitive.  I
could accept pre-fab if the horses legs could bend and tails could swish...but
if they're not going to move...why not make them out of bricks?  Also, the
faces have always looked dead to me...sockets for eyes...usually monochromatic
faces...I think TLC really missed the boat when it came to animals...

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

<snip>