 General / 16599
Re: LEGO name branding (was: Re: Stuff I'd like to see...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:03:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
LEGO very desperately (IMHO) needs to break the association in John Q.
Public's mind that "legos" equal plastic binding bricks.  The only way to
do this is to create other products with the LEGO name & logo.

If LEGO is trying to get beyond the brick, they are doing a poor job of
it.  Look at LEGO Racers.  This is a reasonably fun game, fun for kids
to race around on their go-carts, collecting power items and knocking
each other around.  But there are LEGO pieces everywhere -- the cars are
built of recognizable (mostly), the power items are bricks.

So how does LEGO Racers help the LEGO Company get beyond the brick?  If
anything, it strengthens the association LEGO==bricks.

I mean that LEGO desperately needs (IMHO) to break the association with
"lego" or "legos" meaning any old random kind of plastic building bricks
to the average consumer -- not that it necessarily needs to break the
association between the name "LEGO" and the idea of "LEGO brand building
bricks."

If they can get their brand out there in people's faces enough, it should help
subtly remind people that "legos" are made by a specific company (LEGO) and
not by just any old company.  I think this is an extremely difficult thing to
accomplish and could take many years.  They need to get parents to understand
that Mega-Bloks, etc. aren't "legos."

I think this is also one of the reasons they changed the official name of
DUPLO to LEGO DUPLO -- to reinforce the single-brand thing.  In the past, I've
run into parents in toystores who didn't know that DUPLO was made by LEGO!
With the new name LEGO DUPLO, it's much more difficult for people to remain
so ignorant of this.  They also changed the name PRIMO to LEGO PRIMO before
renaming it again to LEGO BABY.

--Todd