 Dear LEGO / 1862
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:16:25 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Tobias Möller writes:
You're right! I think that the reason that all the sets are so juniorized, is
because kids don't have the patience to sit down and build something. Or, they
are not creative enough to fit 5 bricks together into one larger. TLC says
that
lego enhances creativity etc. It *did* that, but today, all you have to do is
take five bricks and voila! You have a house! That's not very creative.
Instead
of adapting the lego to the kids, they should try to adapt the kids to the
lego,
if you understand what I mean.

Hmm. From my experience, they don't HAVE to adapt the kids to lego.

I baby-sit two 5 y/o twins every Friday afternoon, so I get to see what other
kids think about lego. These kids have both "dad's old lego" (1) and new sets
(among others: Sith Infiltrator, 5986, 6766). They don't really have much Twon
Jr. sets, but I see what they build. One of them discovered technic right now
and just tinkers around with gears aimlessly, enjoying just to see them
move... both of them love to create scenes, building traps and vehicles...
whether it's in "the jungle" or "outer space" or just plain police
("spaceship" :-) cars.
For good measure, both of them discovered the Lego racers demo (on the website)
and are hooked... but they still love the bricks. They don't need much to
entice their imagination - just a bunch of bricks and themselves.

-Shiri

(1) I get really jealous sometimes... there's some really cool stuff there...
but my goody-goody conscience doesn't allow me to snag anything ;-)