 Dear LEGO / 1859
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:23:30 GMT

Tobias wrote:
You're right! I think that the reason that all the sets are so juniorized, is
because kids don't have the patience to sit down and build something. Or, they
are not creative enough to fit 5 bricks together into one larger.

I keep seeing people say this, and you know, I don't agree. I am quite
sure *some* kids are this way but the ones who come to my Technic class
(about 30 or so kids, on and off, age range 6-12, out of a school of 120
or so kids) are definitely not - they are not at all interested in the
sets we have, they want to build their own stuff.

Likewise the kids who built models for and visited the Lego Show I did
at school recently. We sold 136 tickets, which taking into account
multiple entries and adults visiting, probably makes about 35-40 kids
building models (all MOC's, no sets allowed - that's 25-30% of the
school population) and another 30 or 40 visiting the show (and many
stayed the whole 3 hours). To me that indicates that the interest IS
still there, but Lego is moving away from giving them the tools to
express that interest.

I also think that Mindstorms, although a great product, should not be
the future of Lego. The Brick should be the future, with Mindstorms as
an add-on for those who want it. Actually BUILDING is the thing for most
of these kids, then playing with teh result: requiring programming just
adds another layer between building and playing (and reduces the
creativity in the playing!).

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page: