 Dear LEGO / 1848
Re: Stuff I'd like to see...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:38:45 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Richard Marchetti writes:
To Whom It May Concern (and therefore the least likely to actually read it):

TLC's ambitions are probably an exercise in overreaching.  Belville will never
be Barbie.  These terrible video games will never compete with Doom or Myst.
These timepieces will never put Swatch or Timex out of business.  Playmobile
is already too well realized to be competed with directly.  So IMHO, in the
end it will be about modular bricks or nothing.

Exactly!!! Lego, the percent of your customer base that buy your watches/video/
games/play sets because they find them superior to Swatch (do kids still wear
those???), Sega, Barbie, even Tonka, etc. is negligible at best.  Not to offend,
but Lego is pretty marginal when it comes to those things.  I realize that times
have changed, and so have kids.  But...Lego has a product that can still capture
the imagination of kids and pocketbooks of mom and dad without relying on
gimmicks and without compromising the integrity of the product.  Seriously, when
I compare Lego's ventures into video games, playsets for girls, etc., I find
them to be cheap imitations.  Lego is known for building bricks.  Virtually
everyone knows the word Lego, and what it means.  You have become a cultural
icon in this country; Instant Recognition of the Brick.  But will that
recognition disappear 20 years from now as a result of the on-going diluted
focus and quality of your product?  Anyway, I don't mean to be too harsh, and
I'm still planning a Lego trip to TRU after work today...!