 Dear LEGO / 4034
4033  |  4035
Subject:
Technic's only in a coma (WAS Re: Technic's Dead )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:48:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Allan Portillo writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jim Hughes writes:
Guys, I hate to break it to you, but Technic as a theme is dead...

Jim, I appreciate your post, and all that you discussed. However, what are
your comments on what Brad Justus said at Brickfest: "the Technic theme is
not dead".
http://news.lugnet.com/events/brickfest/?n=1015

It's sad to see things turn out as they have. If Lego are really doing away
with Technic, I wonder if they'll indroduce any more sets that represent, as
you said, "function over form".

TJ

BRAD JUSTUS, WE ARE ALL LOSING FAITH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I don't think Brad Justus and/or LEGO Direct alone can resurrect Technic as
we have known it.  But I must agree that some of us are losing faith.

LEGO (meaning the parent company) needs to take a look at the success of
their own Mindstorms sets; Technic to the max. Maybe even the huge success
of Bionicle; sort of Technic sculptures if you will.  But also take a look
at the popularity of a TV show such as 'Junkyard Wars'.  This is nothing
more than grown-ups playing with big real pieces of building materials; not
unlike LEGO bricks.  Many of the machines and mechanisms built on that show
could just as easily be built with LEGO bricks.  A missed marketing
opportunity?  Perhaps.  What if the 'Junkyard Wars' producers licensed the
LEGO brand?  They could put out brick built versions of some of the more
popular designs seen on the show.  Oh and yes, you read correctly.  The TV
show buys the license from the toy company, not the other way around.  LEGO
needs to realize they can actually *make* money from selling their brand.

I don't think it's hard to see that the need for Technic is as great as
ever.  What may be missing is the insight to connect the studs, so to speak.
If Expert Builder sets worked in the late 1970's and Technic sets sold well
through the 80's and 90's, then how is it possible that today's kids don't
need advanced building sets like these?  I changed the subject line of this
posting because I believe that Technic isn't really dead, it's just in a
coma.  It can be brought back to life but it requires the will and
determination of the company in order to see it through to it's logical
reawakening.

Just my thoughts,
Allan B.