 Dear LEGO / 1323
1322  |  1324
Subject:
Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:42:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, but since we have an ear
listening at Lego, I thought I'd throw this out.

Lego makes set for kids from ages 3-14 and a few even up to 16.  Those sets are
released in order to allow children to build a certain item and play with it.
You also make the freestyle line that lets kids use their own imagination to
make what they want.

As an adult who never had legos as a kid, (please don't pity me, I was into
Barbie ;-)) I have enjoyed building with legos.  But I have only made one set
per the instructions sent in the box even though I have well over 100 sets.  I
usually get the sets for what else I can build with them.  As I'm sure a lot of
other AFOL's do.  With the creators that Lego has in employment and the neat
sets that they come up with for displays and the Legoland parks, have you ever
though of releasing a set totally dedicated to the Adults.  A set that builds a
Cathedral, Big Ben, 20-story skyscraper, apartment buildings, hotels, sectional
space station pods, or even a group of sets that will let you build the wonders
of the world?  Yes I'm sure that these sets would be more expensive.  But you
are looking to release them to a group of individuals who have the capital to
spend on their hobbies.  Make the sets with very little or no juniorization in
them; we have the patience to build brick per brick.  Granted some of these set
might get into the 1000-2000 piece range.  But depending on the type of set
that it is, and the colors and elements used they would be well worth the cost.

If you want to find out ahead of time as to how these sets might be accepted,
why not make up a few prototypes, and release their info out to the LUGNET
audience.  Tell us the number of pieces used and the approximate retail cost.
You could then decide if it would be worth the cost to mass-produce a set or
two for release to the public.  Who knows, you might end up with a larger base
of AFOL's then you already have.  Just look at the 3-d puzzles that are out
now, and how they have sold to the public.  Lego is way more fun then those!!!!