 Dear LEGO / 1327
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:07:28 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Andrew Lynch writes:
I like this idea...  One way that LEGO could do this sort of thing without
worrying about how well a set would go over with the public is this:
Literally make them "Collector's Sets", that is, make a prototype, then
advertise it, but don't make the sets right away.  Do something like the
Franklin Mint does, have a limited run.  Accept pre-orders for the set for a
month or two, and then close off additional orders and actually do the run
that makes the parts for the sets in one lump.  The instructions could even
come with some sort of "Limited Edition" certificate of authenticity to make
it even more of a collector's item.

Just a thought.   What do all of you think about this?

Although the idea sounds good I have a couple of problems with it.  I like
Jodi's idea alot as well and in a way TLC is doing this with the 2 Ultimate
Collector's Star Wars models coming out this year.  Although, like Jodi, I
would like to see this done with theme's other than Star Wars.

As far as your idea about pre-orders and "certificate's of authenticity" I
don't know.  After all the box just includes bricks after all and there is
nothing limited or special about them (with some very rare exceptions).  I
guess the instruction book could be "Limited" and have a "certificate of
authenticity" but in general I could care less if an instruction book is
printed in limited quantities.

I just don't think you can truely make a "Limited Edition" LEGO set.  What
happens when someone who never owned the set but was able to scroung the parts
to make it on their own.  Is that model now somewhat less valuable or less
interesting because you don't have a "certificate of authenticity"?  I would
hope not.

In my mind LEGO should be a generic medium used to create incredible models.  I
don't want LEGO to be a plastic model company.  If I wanted to just build one
thing and then leave it together I would buy a plastic model kit.  But I want
to create and not be restricted to a set of rules.  That is why I love LEGO,
because there are no rules.  All that makes a "Limited Edition" set nearly
imposible in my mind.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/