 Dear LEGO / 1375
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 08:27:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
news:388379C3.FA795EE8@umich.edu...

Well even in the 1970's they were already going towards simplification. • In 1963
(when I was 9) I got a JUNIOR CONSTRUCTOR set #717 (a Samsonite LEGO set). • It was
a model kit of a modern house (a 2 story house with flat roof that looked • similar
to a Frank Lloyd Wright design).  This house came with very simplistic
instructions.... 4 pictures of the house on the inside box top in 4 stages • of
construction.  That was it.  You had no idea of how the back of the house • was
supposed to look, because they never showed you that side of the house. • They gave
you extra bricks, and a few extra windows.  But you had to use your • imagination to
construct those areas that were not pictured.

"Gary's Junior Constructor Set" must be the most referenced set in the
world..:-)

This holds true for all 1950's and 1960's LEGO sets.  A front view was • basically
all you got to see.  If you were lucky, the set came with a few diagrams • of
various stages of constructions.  But nothing like the "spoon fed" • instructions
that are prevelent today.

My first set was a 1968 universal set (033) given to me in 1976, when I was
5, and there was no instructions in it. At first, I couldn't find out what
to do with those strange looking plastic things, since the only building toy
that I ever played with before was Nopper and it was a completely different
system. With my mothers patient efforts (she built almost all of the models
featured on the box to teach me) I was hooked with jet speed. In a 1-2 weeks
time, I was building not only the models pictured on the box, but I also
trying to build the models (that can be built with my set) from the very
little pictures of other sets featured in the small catalog that came with
the set. I always look it as solving a puzzle, and it was (and still is) a
very fun job.

Selçuk