 Dear LEGO / 1366
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:21:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Richard Franks wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Remy Evard writes:

I do agree with Steve though.  I find most of the instructions slow
down the building, so I usually only reference every 4th or 8th
instruction image.

I think I'll try that in future :) I got a bunch of early-mid 70s town sets,
and the instructions in those actually made me *think*, I had to lie down from
the shock! My point being - I'd really love to know why the instructions and
sets have.. simplified. Is it really because chlidren won't invest time in
something challenging when easier rewards are available, or don't enough
parents have time to build with their chlidren or...?

Richard\

Well even in the 1970's they were already going towards simplification.  In 1963
(when I was 9) I got a JUNIOR CONSTRUCTOR set #717 (a Samsonite LEGO set).  It was
a model kit of a modern house (a 2 story house with flat roof that looked similar
to a Frank Lloyd Wright design).  This house came with very simplistic
instructions.... 4 pictures of the house on the inside box top in 4 stages of
construction.  That was it.  You had no idea of how the back of the house was
supposed to look, because they never showed you that side of the house.  They gave
you extra bricks, and a few extra windows.  But you had to use your imagination to
construct those areas that were not pictured.

This holds true for all 1950's and 1960's LEGO sets.  A front view was basically
all you got to see.  If you were lucky, the set came with a few diagrams of
various stages of constructions.  But nothing like the "spoon fed" instructions
that are prevelent today.

It would be interesting to have some adult sets with that kind of general
instructions.

Gary Istok