 Dear LEGO / 1369
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:13:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.dear-lego, Gary R. Istok writes:

Well even in the 1970's they were already going towards simplification.

Hmmm, do you think then that the decision was already made.. and being able to
use computers to render the instructions made it that just bit easier to
simplify the instructions?

Does anyone know when TLC started using computers to draw instructions? I'd
guess early to mid-eighties from a technical point of view, but I don't know :)

You had no idea of how the back of the house was
supposed to look, because they never showed you that side of the house.  They
gave you extra bricks, and a few extra windows.  But you had to use your
imagination to construct those areas that were not pictured.

Wow, although it might stress out some perfectionist kids, I like the idea that
there is no strict *right* way.

It would be interesting to have some adult sets with that kind of general
instructions.

Definately.. sets could come with little 'teaser' booklets with
colour-coded sections. The pictures in the first section would give enough
information to build the structure.. but you might need to count studs over
pictures taken from different angles. And so on.. until the last section that
might give you furniture ideas for the bits that you have left over.. if you
haven't already used them spontaneously elsewhere.

Richard