 Dear LEGO / 1368
Re: Proposal for new Mgazine. ATTN: Mr B. Justus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:54:27 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

A follow-up note to Alex,

<snip>
It is also recomended that two seperate editons exist. One for the US
and one for Europe reflecting our differing tradtions in Architecture
and Engineering.

Here is the only place at which I disagree with you Alex.  There is nothing
to suggest that North American builders (or builders anywhere in the world)
would not benefit from being exposed to some of the European tradition or
architecture.  And likewise the North American culture has plenty to offer
in the way of structures.

As for engineering... in some ways it is like science, and there are many
universal truths which are not affected by culture.  On the other hand, any
differences should be shared, as above, and not kept separate.  The world
is really a very small place.  :)

Thanks for suggesting this wonderful idea.  I hope someone out there is
listening.

Regards,
Allan

I have to agree with Allan.  If there is any reason for a 2nd edition, it
should be based on language, and not geography.  (A German or French version?).

I also think that this magazine would be a great way to showcase some of the
historic information on LEGO, such as these themes:

The first LEGO system - The Town Plan (1955-67), and the Town Plan Boards.
The evolution of LEGO Trees & Bushes from 1957-present.
The history of LEGO signage (1957-77).
LEGO Windows & Doors 1957-2000.
The rarest LEGO bricks.
The early metal wheeled LEGO Cars & Trucks - (1955-70).
The history of the Samsonite LEGO Era in the USA (1961-72) and Canada
(1962-86).
The Billund Archive.
The short lived continental European Architecture Sets (1963-65).
The evolution of the minifig (1973-78).
The LEGO Gas Station sets - Esso/Shell/Exxon.
The history of the Service Packs.
The beginnings of the LEGO Train System (1966-80).
Early prototypes for Castle/Western/Model kits of the 1970's.
The European Dealer parts boxes (Windows, Trains & spare parts).

I certainly wouldn't mind contributing to such a magazine...... (hint hint).
:-)

Gary Istok