 Dear LEGO / 1378
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:08:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Selçuk wrote:

Gary Istok <gistok@umich.edu> wrote in message
news:388379C3.FA795EE8@umich.edu...

Well even in the 1970's they were already going towards simplification. • In 1963
(when I was 9) I got a JUNIOR CONSTRUCTOR set #717 (a Samsonite LEGO set). • It was
a model kit of a modern house (a 2 story house with flat roof that looked • similar
to a Frank Lloyd Wright design).  This house came with very simplistic
instructions.... 4 pictures of the house on the inside box top in 4 stages • of
construction.  That was it.  You had no idea of how the back of the house • was
supposed to look, because they never showed you that side of the house. • They gave
you extra bricks, and a few extra windows.  But you had to use your • imagination to
construct those areas that were not pictured.

"Gary's Junior Constructor Set" must be the most referenced set in the
world..:-)

Selçuk

Heh-heh, no actually the Town Plan (#725) is my most often mentioned set.   But
the earlier 1961 Junior Constructor (an English Cotswold style manor house) is
my holy grail.  It was the first model kit not related to the Town Plan system
that was ever produced.  I have never seen an example of this earlier version
anywhere on the internet.  I don't think that very many of these have survived
from the 1961-62 era when these first came out.  Or quite possibly they may have
been produced in limited quantities.

But yes, the Town Plan is the set I talk about most.  As a child, my neighbor
across the street had one of these (they were $25 in 1963, a lot of money in
those days).  Now 35 years later I find out that there are about 10 different
Town Plan sets (#700, #725, #810) that were created between 1957 and 1967, with
several variations of each set number.

But for the record, here are the sets that I talk about most (ad nauseum):

1) 1963 Town Plan #725
2) 1963 Junior Constructor #717
3) 1975 Thatcher Perkins #396
4) 1957 German Town Plan #700
5) 1975 London Bus #760
6) 1962 German Wooden Box Gift set #712
7) 1963 Architectural Sets (750, 751, 752).
8) Early Service Packs (1956-66).
9) 1962 Building Idea Book 1 (#238)

Gary Istok