 Dear LEGO / 1326
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:00:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I like this idea...  One way that LEGO could do this sort of thing without
worrying about how well a set would go over with the public is this:
Literally make them "Collector's Sets", that is, make a prototype, then
advertise it, but don't make the sets right away.  Do something like the
Franklin Mint does, have a limited run.  Accept pre-orders for the set for a
month or two, and then close off additional orders and actually do the run
that makes the parts for the sets in one lump.  The instructions could even
come with some sort of "Limited Edition" certificate of authenticity to make
it even more of a collector's item.

Just a thought.   What do all of you think about this?

-Andy Lynch

Jodi Neal wrote in message ...
<snip>
If you want to find out ahead of time as to how these sets might be • accepted,
why not make up a few prototypes, and release their info out to the LUGNET
audience.  Tell us the number of pieces used and the approximate retail • cost.
You could then decide if it would be worth the cost to mass-produce a set • or
two for release to the public.  Who knows, you might end up with a larger • base
of AFOL's then you already have.  Just look at the 3-d puzzles that are out
now, and how they have sold to the public.  Lego is way more fun then
those!!!!