 Dear LEGO / 1343
Re: Adult lego sets.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:06:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Richard Franks wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Remy Evard writes:

I do agree with Steve though.  I find most of the instructions slow
down the building, so I usually only reference every 4th or 8th
instruction image.

I think I'll try that in future :) I got a bunch of early-mid 70s town sets,
and the instructions in those actually made me *think*, I had to lie down from
the shock! My point being - I'd really love to know why the instructions and
sets have.. simplified. Is it really because chlidren won't invest time in
something challenging when easier rewards are available, or don't enough
parents have time to build with their chlidren or...?

Richard

I was in k-mart booragoon (australia) today looking to see if the 2000 lego
catalog was in and I overheard an interesting conversation. I cant remember the
details but basicly the upshot was that a parent chose the tv helicopter set for a
little kid because of the small number of pieces. The kid wanted to fiddle with
the starwars sets in the display case but the parent said no because they were
only to look at. One of the things the parent said is that the starwars sets in
the case were bigger kids toys. I am sure that many parents who say that about the
starwars sets would probobly say the same about an ice station odyssey or a 6080
kings castle or a black seas baracuda or any of the other non junorised sets. I
think that junorisation is simply a way to get kids off duplo and into lego at an
earlier age. Basic is dissappearing, except for a few tubs that TLG only makes
because mega bloks makes tubs as well. TLG wants kids to go from primo to duplo
and then from duplo straight to city center, knights kingdom and other such
junorised crap.

TLG is not the ultimate cause. They have to do it because if they made town sets
like they have in the past kids wouldn't play with them because they have a short
attention span. Why do they have a short attention span? It is all because of a
black box that all of us have that makes a noise and displays a picture on the
screen depending on which of several buttons you push on a little black box that
you use to controll this device. Even more at fault are several
grey/black/whatever boxes that you can insert a flat plastic disk or a small
plastic cartridge into and when you push a button on the machine the screen
displays different characters, some of which the user can move around the screen
by pushing buttons on a small object that is connected to the machine by a wire
and some of which are trying to destroy the player controlled characters. I wont
name names but one of the companies makes a game that has a small red itallian
plumber and his brother, a small green italian plumber and another company makes a
game with a small blue headgehog that has gotten more speeding tickets than rosco
mglassion(sp) (the guy who holds the current land speed world record).

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com

I should also say that one of the companies mentined as making these boxes is
corrently making one named after an ocean creature that is not a fish.