 Castle / 6821
6820  |  6822
Subject:
Safety Glove
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build.minifigs
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:18:40 GMT

In lugnet.build.minifigs, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

[ker-snip!]

I dug out a flat hobby file from the set I use for taking the flashing off
of table top figurines to get rid of that tab, myself. It took some time and
requires a bit of attention to prevent going too far or accidentally filing
the 'front' edge of the armor, but for my purposes it worked. I have the
armor for Yon-Evy-Ill-Bad-Guy (tm) who is currently otherwise unnamed (that
moniker has a nice ring to it..maybe I'll keep it <G>) but can sport the
armor and wear  the black dragon or Roman styled helm. My brain is tired so
I don't remember the 'proper' name for the helm off hand.

Joel

I found using files on flashing was slower than that #11 blade - use it
enough and you develop a good touch.

Hehe - it might be - if one possessed more manual dexterity and didn't know
that any knives (Hobby, pocket, butter...) held in their hands quickly
develop a taste for the wielder's blood at the least pleasant or opportune
times.....!

I know the popular thing is to refer to the dragon helmet as "Roman" (oddly,
the Roman Gallic style is what comes to mind, but they had so many different
helmets over so many centuries it's hard to remember them all), but it's
also reminiscent of a German Gothic Sallet with the visor up.  Maybe I
should dremel off that silly crest one of these days.  Anyone do that yet
and have a picture?

Indeed this is true, in retrospect. While I love the Castle theme, I
regretfully am quite weak on real history for that period. Since it looks
like a Legionaire's helm that's what I call it. I actually see what you mean
about the visor however, after looking at my bad guy again on Sunday, and
following through on the inspiration to make what will be his evil right
hand (wo)man and her retainers.

I really should stop playing with Space and BUILD the castle this guy is
going to overthrow but the draw to the Dark Side has been too great and I
just can't help myself right now.

I really need to sit down and carve up a few spare helmets and see what I
can do.

Bruce

If you do - please take pic's and share..! I'd love to see what you do. I'm
not brave enough (and lack the Dremel as yet) to attempt much in the way of
customizing.

I've a question that I'm sure has been answered before but my mind is
blanking on where I'd find the answers.
(xposting to .build.minifigs, hopefully accordingly.)

What is the best hand applied paint for painting LEGO?

I'm CONSIDERING the use of the Tamiya acrylic paints that I use for my
military models, since I've always had great luck with it on plastic, but
it's not quite the same as ABS. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good Darth Maul
hood to find it glumps up and is all nasty.  o.O

Joel

A post mentioned the problem of cutting youself with an hobby knife while doing
fine work on minifigs accessorites. There are kevlar (SP?) gloves specifically
made to protect the hands in these situations. They are marketed to wood
carvers and are available at woodworking stores and catague places. I got one
at WoodCrafters.