 Castle / 6791
Re: Body Armor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:24:40 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Mark Sandlin writes:
X-Acto sells a #13 micro saw blade that might work well for this
application. I bet you can find it at a hardware store or a well-stocked
model/train store.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

I tried saw blades years ago, and I found them on the useless side for this
type of work.  If you are actually cutting all the way through, it works
better, but I prefer a jeweler's saw at that point.  A good old #11 is my
flensing tool of choice.  I'm sure a dremel would do the job except for
gripping something that small without damaging it while you grind away the
unwanted plastic.  I'll probably give both a shot.

Bruce

I dug out a flat hobby file from the set I use for taking the flashing off
of table top figurines to get rid of that tab, myself. It took some time and
requires a bit of attention to prevent going too far or accidentally filing
the 'front' edge of the armor, but for my purposes it worked. I have the
armor for Yon-Evy-Ill-Bad-Guy (tm) who is currently otherwise unnamed (that
moniker has a nice ring to it..maybe I'll keep it <G>) but can sport the
armor and wear  the black dragon or Roman styled helm. My brain is tired so
I don't remember the 'proper' name for the helm off hand.

Joel

I found using files on flashing was slower than that #11 blade - use it
enough and you develop a good touch.

I know the popular thing is to refer to the dragon helmet as "Roman" (oddly,
the Roman Gallic style is what comes to mind, but they had so many different
helmets over so many centuries it's hard to remember them all), but it's
also reminiscent of a German Gothic Sallet with the visor up.  Maybe I
should dremel off that silly crest one of these days.  Anyone do that yet
and have a picture?

I really need to sit down and carve up a few spare helmets and see what I
can do.

Bruce