 Castle / 2385
Re: (CW) Realm Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:40:19 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
hi y'all ~

at this point, i'm proposing scale for realms. as each realm is a square
on a grid, picture that square divided 16 x16. each of these squares equals
a 32x32 baseplate.

does this sound good to everyone?  :-)

Hmm.  That's a much smaller scale than I was thinking it would be.  I was
thinking of realms more in terms of "miles" than in studs...I assumed more of
a map scale, where a city would be represented by a dot... in this scale, I
can easily see a city taking up half a realm or more.

My current project is a keep, not even a full castle, and it takes up 5x5
squares on that scale...If I want two big structures in my realm, they're
going to be rock-chucking distance!

Honestly, I'd really rethink that scale... 512 studs is only a couple hours
walk for a minifig!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

I really have to agree with James here. When I first read that description, a
realm being 512 by 512, I thought that was 512 32x32 baseplates by 512 32x32
baseplates, not 16 32x32 baseplates by 16 32x32 baseplates. This would be
several orders of magnitude more space, and more realistically represent
continent-sized realms such as Dragonia and my own Yoshino. A castle and
surrounding town would easily be able to fit an a realm this huge.

Also, if we scale it up, we can use a 16x16 set of 32x32 baseplates for our
nanofig maps. Each stud on this map would translate into a 32x32 plate, and
would be represented by a single 1x1 plate of a color along the lines of the
beta map coloring plan that was proposed earlier.

If 16x16 32x32 baseplates is too large for a nanofig map for a realm, we could
scale it down to have a 4x4 set of 32x32 baseplates be our map, where each of
the 128x128 studs would translate into a 32x32 baseplate. This might be the
best compromise.. what do you all think?