 Castle / 2365
Re: (CW) Realm Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:03:42 GMT

craig hamilton wrote:

hi y'all ~

  at this point, i'm proposing scale for realms. as each realm is a square
on a grid, picture that square divided 16 x16. each of these squares equals
a 32x32 baseplate.

  does this sound good to everyone?  :-)

Hmm...

From the way a lot of people are talking, I get the impression that folk
are going to be building complete structures and leaving them up.  I have
a couple of minor problems with that - space and number of bricks.  I
don't have near enough space to house a permanent Realm, even if I give up
the dinner table (and my fiancee won't be happy about that!)  And even if I
had the space, I don't have the bricks to do it.

By the way...how much 'stuff' are we thinking about being in a realm?  I
have to wonder if I'm thinking on a different scale than you guys.  Is a
realm going to be a town, or an entire kingdom?

I also have a solution to both the scale and bricks problems, but it's
going to make your mapping idea a bit difficult to implement.

I was planning on doing any building for my ballads in 'set' style.  What
I mean by that is that I'd build the areas as they would be built for a
movie set.  When you have a scene in a dungeon in a movie, you don't build
the entire castle...

Anyway, this method of construction would allow people to:

1) re-use bricks in different structures
2) make their structures seem 'bigger' and definitely more elaborate

I'm planning on using this method because I'm focusing more on the story
than on the building.  But what do other people think?

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m