 Castle / 2380
Re: (CW) Realm Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 05:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
right! but it should be fill it up, and you "earn"another one.  a realm
need not be filled with structures, tho'. one may want an isolated structure
or small villlage surrounded by forest.  chronicling four ballads
essentially "fills" a realm, earning another one. you can add adjoining
realms to increase your "kingdom". (or whatever we end up calling a grouping
of regional realms) or you can scatter many realms across the world.

But why do I have to build each and every structure/area involved in my
realm?  It feels like Castle World is turning into a contest, and I thought
this was supposed to be a collection of castle-related objects.  I also don't
have the time and pieces to "fill up" a realm.  It would also mean I'd have
to completely re-write my History, and I am loath to do that, considering the
time I put into it.

I think you misunderstood Craig here. Notice this line, quoted:
"a realm need not be filled with structures, tho'. one may want an isolated
structure or small villlage surrounded by forest.  chronicling four ballads
essentially "fills" a realm, earning another one."

I got that.  What I meant was that I can't say "There is a Keep in the hills
nearby, and they are sending these evil monsters to attack my army."

Read this carefully and you'll see what he's saying - to earn another realm
you can EITHER fill it up OR write four ballads (stories).

Does my history count?  If so, I have the makings for a very large area right
there.  *However*, I'd still prefer a large, non-lego map with dots
representing any major structure.  For example, there would be a single dot for
Caer Gwynnyd, no matter how big it is, how large the town is around it, or how
many buildings I've actually built for the town.  In real World terms, the town
of Caer Gwynnyd would have a population of 100,000.  Thjis is a major city, and
if I was to acually build it in Lego terms (i.e. selective compression), It
would most definitely be larger than my Castle World "realm".  This is, in
fact, a goal of mine.  It probably won't be realized for many years, but I do
plan on eventually completing this project.

This is probably the biggest reason why I want no constraints on size.  The
current mapping method will render my goal incompatible with Castle World.

Oh, and my Largest airship will be over 58 studs long.  ;)

put your castle in a realm located in an area suiting your general
geographic desires. (rivers, mountains,etc) once three ballads are archived
there, choose one of the adjoining realms for your village.

What happens if people have realms completely surrounding me, and I need to
expand?

I was wondering about that too.

once that one has four stories, choose another for outposts. go on and on,
and
you could form a country if you like!

Um...  I *already* have a country.  In fact, this country was once *three*
different countries.  See the History of Dragonia for more information.

I thought creating countries was the idea?  Otherwise, what is the point of
having a King if he has no kingdom?

I think he meant an even *bigger* country, expand, etc.

Yeah, but I'd be hard-pressed to call an area a fifth the size of Washington DC
even a city-state, let alone a country.  Countries are generally very large.
It took many days, if not weeks of travel top even cross the breadth of England
during the middle ages.  A minifig could cross a Castleworld Kingdom in a
matter of hours.

Jeff
http://members.xoom.com/aulddragon/