 Castle / 2376
Re: (CW) Realm Scale -much clearer now!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:36:17 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.castle, Pawel Nazarewicz writes: • <snip>
However, it is *still* pretty small.
These countries are many hundreds of miles across.  As it is, using the Star
Wars Sets' ratio, each realm is only about a fifth the size of Washington DC.
This just feels very small to me.  I didn't expect us to fully create our own
realms in our own homes.  I expected that we'd be creating scenes that would
be
placed in specific areas in our realms.

Thanks, Jeff, for clarifying the realm scale for me through this post. (I
catch on really fast when people explain to me slowly ;-)

In such a case where a realm is a pretty big part of the country I would agree
that 512x512 studs would be small.

Unless you take Tim's ideas about scaling and having a miniature of a castle,
etc.
For example - Your mini-sized realm could take about 256x256 studs (8
baseplates of 32x32) of which you could show tiny pictures - a few plates
width being a huge river, a few grey bricks representing a town/castle, etc.
Then you "zoom in" and get a picture of the same size, in which, say, every 10
bricks in "real scale" are represented by 1 brick in "semi-scale". This could
show a town/castle and its surrounding areas/terrian. Then there'd be the real
scale - 1 stud = 1 stud - in which the *whole* realm could take up maybe a
couple thosands of studs, or even more. A scary idea, but not if you think
about it like this: towns and castles, big as they might be, weren't close to
each other, but spread widely apart. So large areas of your realm could be
empty, or be farmlands, etc.
The scale is similar to the original map Pawel put on CW, only you can now
have a bigger realm, remaining a bit more realistic about spacing
towns/villages, having armies travel, etc.

Real scenes/stories could be shown only in "real" scale, or in the smaller
ones (for example, show a huge army invading your town in "semi-scale").

This is just an idea, but it might make life easier for a lot of people...

LMKWYT.

-Shiri