Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 14:02:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Hi all,

Well, as much as it pains me to say it, unless Lugnet changes the way it runs
the forums (i.e. signup easy and intuitive, no authorization emails), I think we
may need to change venues to avoid the potential alienation of new
users/contributers.  Thoughts on this?  I have a replacement prepped but I'd
like have some discussion before anything happens.

-Orion

Ok, I like the discussion going on.  I've setup a test forum on my own website.
This won't be the final product by any means but I though I'd share what I've
done.

http://ldrawforum.pobursky.com

To do things are theme as appropriate and figure out if I can link other posting
mean into it.

Orion,

The new forum looks nice, slick and easy to use.

Can it support single sign-in?  Facebook Connect, Google, Twitter.  While not
absolutely necessary, it's easier and easier to implement this now, and it helps
in terms of attracting new blood, if that is a goal.

Allowing people to build an identity in the LDraw forum and then link it to
their profiles and galleries elsewhere (where they live their lives online)
safes the effort of building duplicate features (photo gallery, etc).

It all depends on your goal, though.  I think you want new active participants,
right?  If so, single sign-in makes life a lot easier for those newbies who are
used to today's experience online.  If you're looking simply for a better place
for existing members, then it's not a requirement.

As for a new CMS, which I know is another thread, my only thoughts would be to
minimize custom development.  Can the Parts Tracker live as an independent
application and link user IDs between the front-end CMS (which most casual users
will browse)?  And can the new site be as simple as possible to facilitate the
objective of telling people 1) what LDraw is, 2) helping them download it and
get started and 3) providing the reference articles to help them along the way?

Galleries, videos and other things can be hosted elsewhere and embedded, freeing
up precious volunteer time to focus on refining a site that lets people educate
themselves, download the tools and start creating with LDraw.

That's my brain dump and just one viewpoint.  Best of luck with the transition
to a new forum and site.

Tim