Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:59:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
At the risk of seeming snarky, how many new members have joined LUGNET in
the past month?  Three months?  Six months?

14, 39 and 137 have taken the trouble to {join} in those periods - so clearly
people are able to negotiate the sign up procedure (and are motivated to do
so). I think it's reasonable to assume that the are several more {readers},
but I could be wrong.

There are two types of memberships here...which is also very confusing!  As I
remember it was fairly easy to become a regular member, but that did not allow
posting.  A membership that allowed you to post was a different and more
difficult process.

Those numbers are probably regular members, and I'd bet nearly all of them are
wondering how or why they can't post.

I think you may be confused - as far as I know there has only ever been 1
flavour of membership (see http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/options). And
you do not have to be a member to post, you just need to go through the posting
setup process (see http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/).

However, I do agree that is a little more complicated (and the instructions
harder to find) than more modern forums.

ROSCO

I think you just confirmed what I just said...after getting membership, you
still can not post messages.  You have to jump through another hoop (that is not
obvious) with confirmation emails and the like.  Call it two flavors of
membership, or call it like it is..it is off-putting.

As I said, I agree. And you've re-highlighted something that is not obvious, and
not easy to figure out for newbies - you do not have to be a member[1] to post,
something which seems to be the norm on the vast majority of modern forum sites.
It might make the sign-up more intuitive if the membership process required the
entry of the information on the posting setup screen, and that screen was
removed altogether.

ROSCO

1. I use "member" here to describe what the site creators call a "member", not
the completion of the posting setup.