Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 23:52:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dave Schuler wrote:

   At the risk of seeming snarky, how many new members have joined LUGNET in the past month? Three months? Six months?

14, 39 and 137 have taken the trouble to join in those periods - so clearly people are able to negotiate the sign up procedure (and are motivated to do so). I think it’s reasonable to assume that the are several more readers, but I could be wrong.

Wow, I didn’t know you could still actually join Lugnet. Somehow I’d gotten the impression that process had fallen into neglect before I started posting here. So I’ve been putting up with those authentication e-mails needlessly all these years? Whoops!

That said, the signup form is 7 pages long (!), wants personal details like my home mailing address, and lastly, wants actual money at the end. Whatever the virtues of collecting that information, it is atypical in this era and it’s hard to imagine a new user wading through it.

It’s too bad, because I like Lugnet. The web browsing interface is clean and easy to read, and it was really convenient back when everything happened here. I like seeing people’s real names, I like threaded conversations, and I like not being barraged with “signature” lines so long and loud I can’t find the actual conversation.

But despite my feelings of nostalgia, it’s hard to imagine Lugnet being to a new user in 2010 what it was to me in 2000.

Allen