Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:35:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Scott Wardlaw wrote:

There are two types of memberships here...which is also very
confusing!  As I remember it was fairly easy to become a regular
member, but that did not allow posting.  A membership that allowed
you to post was a different and more difficult process.

You remember totally wrong. Anyone, member of lugnet or not, can/could sign
up for posting.

The only difference is that 'real' (paying) members don't have to reply to
the confirmation email for each post they do. Which isn't a hassle at all,
at least not for me, reading lugnet through my newsreader/mail client.

Except that, for most, the web interface is the way they use LUGNET.  In
addition, I use a separate email client and newsreader so I'm sure there are
others like me.  The bottom line is that I feel that the authentication emails
are an undo burden placed upon the system so that a relative minority can
continue to use NNTP.  The moment you start adding steps to the posting process
that, most new users, if they perceive these steps complicated/unnecessary, will
give up to go somewhere else.

-Orion