 General / 55562
Re: Forum shift
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:35:20 GMT

On 10-10-30 07:28 PM, David "Fuzzy" Gregory wrote:

I've never used the NNTP.  When I click on it, I see the same messages that I
see on LUGNET through a browser (including ones I've posted [through a browser
interface]).  Is there any kind of advantage to using the NNTP instead of the
web interface?

(Keep in mind that I'm a very old fogey who has been using NNTP stuff for decades.)

The advantage to me is that I don't have to use a web browser to do it. :-) I run
my browser with Javascript turned off virtually all the time. So, I tend to not use
web-based forum stuff at all, since so much of it requires Javascript. Allowing
your browser to run Javascript is the single biggest security hole in PC's.

I find the NNTP interface so much easier to use. I don't have to wave the mouse
around and click on things. I can just hit the space bar to go to the next
message.

Also, as an old fogey who used to program 8 bit computers with 56K of memory, I
don't like the greatly increased bandwidth (both on my computer and on LUGNET's
server) needed for the web access versus NNTP access. I'm guessing its upto 5
times more data needing to be transferred for a web page versus an NNTP article.

-Chris Gray